Stand Up America is powered by more than a million grassroots supporters who allow us to fulfill our mission by engaging with content and taking impactful actions. Our website is designed to facilitate that participation through interaction, which often means asking people for their personal information. What follows is an explanation of the ways in which we ask for your personal information, and how it is protected.
Joining Stand Up America
When you join Stand Up America, we ask for information, including your name, email address, phone number, zip code and address. We do not share or otherwise disclose any personally identifying information collected in this process except as described in this Policy. Only Stand Up America staff, authorized agents (as described below), and certain third parties have access to personally identifiable information provided by you. You can choose whether or not to provide that information.
Fighting back against Trump and the Republicans’ dangerous agenda means telling the world where we stand on the issues, and petitions are an effective way to do that. Before signing, you should know what information we will keep private.
When you sign a petition on StandUpAmerica.com, we treat your name and primary city of residence as public information and may share this with the public official or decision maker who is the target of the petition. Sometimes, we’ll ask you to share additional information, like a story, which we may share with our community or with the public official or decision maker who is the target of the petition. When making petition information public, we will never disclose your email address or phone number.
We rely on the feedback from our community to improve our organization. As Stand Up America grows, we will continue to ask supporters like you to provide feedback on our program and to share your preferences for content and organizing actions. Before submitting a survey response, you should know what information we will keep private.
When you submit a survey response on our website, we treat your name and primary city of residence as public information and may share this with the public official or decision maker who is the target of the petition. We may also share information related to issue and action preferences and policy opinions with the Stand Up America community and certain third parties, as described in this Policy. When making survey response information public, we will never disclose your email address or phone number.
There are opportunities on our website for you to send messages directly to policy makers via phone, email, social media, and letter. Due to the nature of the communication, whatever information you provide, including your email address, will be shared with the message’s recipient. If you choose to share your contact information with a policy maker in this way, Stand Up America cannot limit or control how that person or organization may use your information.
User Inquiries and Feedback
Our website contains online forms and email addresses through which you can contact us with questions, concerns, to report problems with StandUpAmerica.com, or other issues. In order to respond to you, we need certain contact information. While we retain this information for our records, we will not use it for any purpose other than to correspond with you regarding your inquiry without obtaining your permission. You may use these online form(s) and email addresses to correspond with us regarding any rights you may have under applicable law concerning the accuracy of the personally identifying data in our possession and its use, and we will comply with applicable laws in resolving the issue(s) you raise.
We may, on occasion, share some of your personal information with selected authorized agents, for example external contractors working to maintain our website for the purpose of helping us do our work. They will abide by the requirements in this Policy and will not share your personal information or use it for any purpose other than for the benefit of Stand Up America.
Sharing Personal Information with Third Parties and Other Disclosures
It is our policy not to share the personal information we receive with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed to you. For example, we may share personal information with Authorized Agents and as follows:
- With organizations, groups, or causes that we believe have similar viewpoints, principles, or objectives;
- When you give us consent to do so, including if we notify you on StandUpAmerica.com or in this Policy, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular matter and you provide such information;
- When you donate money to Stand Up America or any of its affiliated entities; and
- When reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
All above categories exclude text messaging originator opt-in data and consent; this information will not be shared with any third parties.
NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION: COOKIES
Cookies are text files stored on your computer, mobile or other internet-connected device by a web browser, and are used to facilitate functionality and usability of the website, including remembering you the next time you visit. Cookies contain information about your use of a particular website but do not include any personally identifying information by themselves (for example, they do not store your name or address). To find out more about cookies more generally click here.
The types of cookies used on StandUpAmerica.com include:
Similar to most websites, we use analytics to improve user experience and StandUpAmerica.com’s functionality. We use external services, including but not limited to Google Analytics and Blue State Digital, to provide real-time reporting of, among other things, your use and navigation of StandUpAmerica.com to Stand Up America staff and our authorized agents. This reporting includes page views, unique views, unique visitors, repeat visitors, frequency of visits, and peak-volume traffic periods. We do not use this service to gather, request, record, require, collect, or track any users’ personally identifiable information.
If you do not wish your use of StandUpAmerica.com to be recorded in this way, please visit the Google website for instructions on how to opt-out.
These cookies are used to recognize return visitors to StandUpAmerica.com so the site can remember your preferences. For example, cookies save you the trouble of closing notification windows if you have closed them during a previous visit.
Facebook’s data use policy: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info-on-other
You have choices with respect to cookies. By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. However, please note that if you reject some or all cookies, your experience on StandUpAmerica.com and on other sites may not be complete. In addition, if you do not allow cookies, you will not be able to take advantage of any personalized content delivery offered.
We use encryption technologies when transferring and receiving data from StandUpAmerica.com. In addition, we have appropriate security measures in place to protect against the loss or misuse of information on StandUpAmerica.com site that we have collected from you. However, the transmission of information over the internet is never completely secure, so, while we do our best to protect personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to our website.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By accessing StandUpAmerica.com, you are agreeing in good faith to the following terms and conditions. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms and conditions, you may not access or use StandUpAmerica.com. If you breach any of these terms or conditions, your authorization to use StandUpAmerica.com may be automatically terminated.
STAND UP AMERICA’S PROPRIETARY RIGHTS AND RE-USE POLICY
StandUpAmerica.com and its content are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and/or other intellectual property laws and international conventions, and any unauthorized use of the materials may violate such laws. You agree to comply with all applicable laws, governmental regulations and guidelines with respect to or otherwise arising out of your use of StandUpAmerica.com.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes on their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials on StandUpAmerica.com infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send us a notice requesting that the material be removed, or access to it blocked. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirement. Notices may be provided by certified mail to Stand Up America’s Copyright/DMCA Administrator: Copyright Manager, Stand Up America, 110 E. 25th Street, New York, NY 10010
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
StandUpAmerica.com and its materials are provided “AS-IS.” Stand Up America does not make any express or implied warranties, representations, or endorsements whatsoever with regard to the materials or related information.
StandUpAmerica.com may include inadvertent inaccuracies or errors. Additionally, the possibility exists that a third party could make unauthorized alterations to StandUpAmerica.com content or features. Although we attempt to ensure the integrity of StandUpAmerica.com, we make no guarantees as to its completeness or correctness. In the event that a situation arises in which StandUpAmerica.com’s completeness or correctness is in question, please contact us with, if possible, a description of the material to be checked and the location (URL) where that material can be found on StandUpAmerica.com, as well as information sufficient to enable us to contact you.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
Neither Stand Up America nor any of its affiliates, directors, officers, employees or consultants are responsible or liable for any damages of any kind arising out of or relating in any way to StandUpAmerica.com and/or materials contained on StandUpAmerica.com, any linked site or any content or service available through StandUpAmerica.com. Your sole remedy for dissatisfaction with the site, content services, or any linked site is to stop your use of it.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Stand Up America and our directors, officers, employees, and consultants, from and against any claim or demand (including reasonable attorney fees) arising from: (a) your activities in connection with StandUpAmerica.com; (b) any violation of these terms and conditions by you; and, (c) any allegation that any submissions or other materials you submit to us or transmit to StandUpAmerica.com infringe or otherwise violate the copyright, trademark trade secret, or other intellectual property or other rights of any third party.
SUBMISSIONS OF CONTENT AND STAND UP AMERICA’S TAKE-DOWN POLICY
Submissions of content, materials, and postings must be consistent with the following policy; violation of this policy may cause removal of the content by Stand Up America. By posting content, you agree to the following terms and conditions.
- Submissions may not restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying StandUpAmerica.com.
- Submissions may not contain a virus or other harmful components.
- Submissions may not contain material that violates, plagiarizes, or infringes any person or entity’s rights, including, but not limited to any copyright or the rights of privacy and publicity as those rights are defined under applicable law.
- Submissions may not include the posting of materials protected by copyright law, regardless of whether the work has been registered or not, without the express written permission form the holder of those rights.
- Submissions may not contain the brand names, trademarks, trade dress, logos, seals, or other representations that may be associated with a specific organization or individual, without the express written permission of the party or parties having rights and titles to such materials.
- Submissions may not contain images, photos, or works of art that are not owned entirely by the submitting party.
- No images of children will be posted unless appropriate licenses have been obtained from the children’s parents or other guardians.
- Submissions may not contain information, content, statements, or representations that are threatening, abusive, inflammatory, dangerous, inappropriate, indecent, obscene, offensive vulgar, pornographic, profane, sexually explicit, tortious, injurious, defamatory, or libelous. Submissions may not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred, or harm against any group or individual, promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, or age, or constitutes or encourages conduct that would be a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate law.
- Submissions may not contain material that is unlawful.
- Submissions may not be intended to promote or otherwise facilitate any commercial activity.
- Submissions may be used by Stand Up America in whole or in part for any purpose whatsoever without any compensation and the transfer to Stand Up America of all rights in the Submission includes a grant to Stand Up America of the exclusive, irrevocable right and license to exhibit, broadcast, rebroadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, transmit, record, publicly perform, create derivative works of, distribute and otherwise use submitted content in any manner, and by any means, in perpetuity.
- Stand Up America reserves the right to remove or refuse to post any content, including links, in whole or in part for violations of this policy or because the content has been deemed unrelated to the postings or discussion taking place. Content may be removed and reviewed at Stand Up America’s discretion, and only in the event that content is found to be consistent with these terms and conditions will such content be reposted. Stand Up America does not and cannot review all materials posted to StandUpAmerica.com by its users, and is not responsible for any such materials posted by its users. If you observe any content or material on StandUpAmerica.com that appears to conflict with any of the above requirements, please contact us.
You represent and warrant that you are at least 13 years old.
Entire Agreement. This Policy constitutes the entire agreement between Stand Up America and you with respect to your use of StandUpAmerica.com. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of these terms and conditions, or portion of these terms and conditions, to be unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to affect the intent of these terms and conditions, and the remainder of these terms and conditions will continue in full force and effect. Any failure of Stand Up America to enforce or exercise any provision of these terms and conditions or related right will not constitute a waiver of that right or provision.
Changes. Stand Up America reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, modify, add or remove any portion of this Policy, in whole or in part, at any time. Notification of changes to this Policy will be posted to StandUpAmerica.com.
Dispute Resolution; Jurisdiction; Governing Law. This agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York without regard to its principles of conflicts of law. If any controversy or claim is not otherwise resolved through direct discussions or mediation, it must be resolved by final and binding arbitration, conducted in the State of New York, according to the American Arbitration Association’s Consumer Arbitration Rules. Each user waives any and all objections to jurisdiction of the American Arbitration Association and venue as described and hereby submits to that jurisdiction and venue.
Last Updated: February 2021